While countries up north are layering up for the winter, down under we are stripping off. Canberra is in the throes of summer, and we can look forward to warm breezes and more sunny days and balmy nights.
Whether it’s a walk at the park, a day at the museum or perhaps kayaking on Lake Burley Griffin, summer is the time for friends, family and fun…and the right outfit is part of the experience. Summer is the chance to fun it up, to show a bit more skin (but remember to slip, slop, slap) and enjoy the bright, seasonal prints.
So, here's what you need to know to enjoy this summer season as we start the new year.
- Old Bus Depot Markets: The Old Bus Depot Markets that open every Sunday in Canberra are a must-visit! Aside from handcrafted items, glassware, jewellery, you get amazing colourful hand made and vintage clothes here. Winner of Australian tourism awards - this is a good place for your summer outfit shopping.
- Bright Business: As the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. We say, just as you style your house to get the best sale result, style yourself to impress…and don’t be afraid to add a bit of colour.
- Comfy cotton: Whether it's a day out in the sun or a late night dinner with the family we recommend you go for cotton clothes as a light, soft fabric that allows your skin to breathe. You could opt for a flowy summer dress, peplum tops, crop tops, button-down shirts, skirts or pants. This versatile fabric is effortlessly chic.
- Hike it up: Are you an outdoorsy person? Or an adventure junkie? There are many hiking trails in Canberra like the Namadgi National Park, the Clarke George Walking Track and the Canberra centenary trail. Get ready to explore. All you need is loose, breathable clothing, a hat, sturdy hiking boots, sunglasses and a lot of sunscreen (slip, slop, slap). Don't forget the water bottles too!
- Make a splash this summer: Can't wait to rock your new swimwear down the coast? And if you haven't already found the best bathing suit, head to the Canberra Outlet Centre, and you're bound to find something that suits your style.
- A night out: As the balmy breeze blows delightfully on the summer nights in Canberra, who will want to stay indoors? Plan a perfect night out. Go for a strappy bodycon dress, or a flowy maxi dress, or just a pretty playsuit. Pair it with the right accessories, a light cape blazer, and you’re good to go!