Calwell is a medium-sized Canberra suburb in the district of Tuggeranong. Tuggeranong Hill is on its southern border and the Tuggeranong Homestead is to the north. Calwell is located close to the Monaro Highway which provides a direct route to Canberra City and to Cooma.
The suburb was named after the Labor politician, Arthur Augustus Calwell, PC (1896-1973). The suburb name was gazetted 5 August 1975. Streets in the suburb are named for Victorian politicians.
The Calwell Centre is a designated group centre located on Webber Crescent in the north of the suburb. The centre was developed in the early 1990s to serve Calwell, Richardson, Theodore and Isabella Plains. Prior to the development of the Lanyon Market Place in the late 1990s, the Calwell Centre also serviced Conder, Banks and Gordon. Among the retail and service outlets are a Woolworths supermarket, Caltex Woolworths service station, tavern, chinese restaurant, car wash and several other businesses.
The Calwell Club opened in 2004 and is located adjacent to the centre.
There are three schools in the suburb, with two being public and one private. Calwell High School was opened in 1990 and caters for students in Years 7 to 10. Calwell Primary School was opened in 1989 and caters for students From Pre School to Year 6. St Francis of Assisi Primary School, is a private Catholic school that began operating from Holy Family School, Gowrie, in 1988 and caters for students in Kindergarten to Year 6.