Chisholm is a Canberra suburb in the district of Tuggeranong, named after Caroline Chisholm. Philanthropist and social reformer, Chisholm arrived in Australia with her husband, Captain Archibald Chisholm, in 1838. She proceeded to find positions for immigrant girls, sheltering many of them in her home; established employment agencies at many rural centres; and with her husband, travelled throughout NSW collecting over 600 statements from immigrants about their lives in Australia. Chisholm returned to England in 1846 where she established the Family Colonization Loan Society in 1849. The Society received the savings of intended emigrants to Australia and lent them the balance of the passage money – the Australian agents found them employment and collected the repayment of the loan by easy instalments. She died in London in 1877.
The suburb was gazetted on 5 August 1975, and streets, in theme, are named after notable women.
In honour of Caroline Chisholm, the Caroline Chisholm School was opened in 2008. It is a newly amalgamated school that caters for students from Preschool to Year 10. Chisholm High School, now the Senior Campus, was opened in 1985 and won the RAIA Canberra Medallion for Outstanding Architecture the following year. The senior campus caters for students in Years 6 to 10 and offers a Middle Years Program. Chisholm Primary School, now the Junior Campus caters for students in Preschool to Year 5. Both schools are located on Hambidge Crescent.
The Chisholm Group Centre is located on Halley Street and Benham Street and has a variety of shops and service outlets. These include a Coles supermarket, tavern, restaurants, general practitioner, dentist, BP service station, Fire Station, Rugby union club, child care and several other businesses. Chisholm also has several sporting facilities: the Chisholm District Playing Fields located on Proctor Street, the Chisholm Neighbourhood Oval on Alston Street and the Pines Tennis Club on Norris Street.
Chisholm is next to the suburbs of Gilmore, Fadden, and Richardson and is bounded by Isabella Drive, and the Monaro Highway. Chisholm and Gilmore are separated by Simpson’s Hill, which provides some wilderness with walking tracks over it, which are popular for walking dogs.