Lawson is a Canberra suburb in the district of Belconnen. It does not have any suburban houses, consisting only of part of Lake Ginninderra, the Belconnen Naval Radio Station, and an open area of grassland where there is a reservoir and substation. A bicycle path runs alongside Ginninderra Drive, another along the shore of the lake. The area is surrounded by Baldwin Drive, William Slim Drive and Ginninderra Drive. It lies next to the suburbs of McKellar, Giralang, Kaleen, Bruce and Belconnen.
The suburb is planned to be opened for residential development in the near future, with 500 blocks to be released adjacent to the Belconnen Naval Radio Station.
Gazetted in 1986, the suburb was named after short story writer and poet, Henry Lawson (1867-1922). His first published work, `Song of the Republic’ appeared in the `Bulletin’ in 1887, followed by his first short story, `His Father’s Mate’, published in 1888. Lawson worked as a contributing journalist for a number of newspapers and journals. His work includes `While the Billy Boils’, 1896, and `The Drover’s Wife’, 1892. The streets in Lawson are named after places and characters in the fictional works of Henry Lawson.