Gazetted in 1971, Macgregor is a residential suburb in the Belconnen district. It is named after Sir William Macgregor, Governor of Queensland from 1909 to 1914 and the first Chancellor of the University of Queensland, 1911. The streets themselves are named after members of the Australian medical profession.
Macgregor has a primary school and neighbourhood oval. The main road in the suburb is Osburn Drive, which passes by a petrol station and an area that was formerly a small shopping centre — this has now been demolished and redeveloped into Kings swimming pool.
Macgregor is primarily situated on Mount Goodwin (612m). Ginninderra Creek runs through the middle of the suburb for 1.4 kilometres.
It lies next to the suburbs of Dunlop, Latham and Holt on the western side of Belconnen, with Florey Drive the boundary to the east, Ginninderra Drive on the north, and Southern Cross Drive on the south.