Richardson is a Canberra suburb in the district of Tuggeranong. The suburb is named after author Ethel Richardson, who wrote under the pseudonym `Henry Handel Richardson’. She published her first novel, `Maurice Guest’, in 1905 and her second, `Getting of Wisdom’, was published in 1910. Her best known work is the trilogy `The Fortunes of Richard Mahoney’, which was published in 1930. The suburb name was gazetted on 5 May 1975, with the streets named after writers, particularly female writers.
Richardson Primary school, located on May Gibbs Close, opened in 1984. The school has a major focus on information and communications technology in education. Richardson Primary School was the first school within Australia to install Interactive Whiteboards. Richardson Preschool is located on the same street.
The Tuggeranong Homestead heritage site is accessed off Ashley Drive and hosts the Tuggeranong Homestead markets on the first Sunday of each month. The Richardson local centre and Richardson Oval are located on May Gibbs Close. Richardson also has a scout hall on Clift Crescent.
Richardson is next to the suburbs of Calwell, Isabella Plains, Gowrie and Chisholm, and is bounded by Johnson Drive, Ashley Drive and Isabella Drive.